Source | LinkedIn : By Tim Dingle
It can be difficult to grasp the concept ofPositive Self-Promotion, but wallflowers were so last year. It is time to be a scenius.Scenius is like a genius, only embedded in a scene rather than in genes. Brian Eno suggested the word to convey the extreme creativity that groups, places or scenes can generate. The hive mind is a powerful thing and the joy of social media is that it can promote you to being a scenius quite quickly.
It should be no secret, that to get ahead you have to promote yourself. Whether you want to start your own business, sell your novel to a publisher, or get a promotion at work, you need to make people aware of you and your abilities.
You might well remember that nothing can bring you success but yourself. – Napoleon Hill
For many people, the thought of promoting themselves is a real problem. Images of snake oil salesmen or arrogant know-it-alls run through our minds. These negative connotations about self-promotion, all of which unfortunately keep most people, especially women, from feeling comfortable and confident when talking about themselves. The reality is that we all rely on some degree of self-promotion. The secret lies in making it a positive process.
Here are my ten suggestions for Positive Self-Promotion:
- Become a ‘scenius’ by writing more articles, doing more good work and serving more. Getting yourself embedded in a community and showing your abilities to a wider audience.
- Show your passion in everything you do – always turn up.
- Be generous in helping other people without expecting anything in return. This can be by introducing others to people they would enjoy, or benefit from knowing.
- Whatever you do (in business and life), be ready to own it. If you’re not willing to own your idea and believe in what you’re promoting, then how can you expect anyone else to believe in it?
- In business, it all starts with value. What separates you from everyone else who does what you do is the particular value you bring to your clients, customers, or users. Promote your value.
- Listen for problems instead of seeking opportunities. If you don’t listen, you prove two things to people. First, you don’t care about them. Second, you aren’t very smart. If you are genuinely interested in other people, you will be truly interested in what they have to say.