By | Miten Sampat | http://www.indiatimes.com/
2015 was a masaledar year for Indian startups. It was a year when VCs, rounds of funding and exits crept into common usage. It was a year when startup entrepreneurs landed on rich lists and made headlines for being sacked from their own startups at least twice. It was a year where astronomical amounts of capital were invested. There were alternating ups and downs of growth, layoffs, and many insiders and outsiders, alike, felt we had an overheated market in the second half of 2015.
But no matter what you have to say about the antics of startup founders, it was a year in which startups touched every aspect of our lives. 2015 was a year filled with widespread recognition and debate about technology-led-startups in India.
Even though the word ‘bubble’ was mentioned by many a pundit, my view is the opposite. We are only at the beginning of a decade-long upsurge in the growth, relevance, and impact of startups on the life of every Indian. So here is my pick of 10 companies that will lead the charge of innovation, and mainstream impact in 2016.
- PayTM – Not just a wallet
- Bankbazaar – “When banks compete, You win”
- Shuttl, CityFlo, Ola Shuttle – the new way to commute
- Urbanclap – trustworthy local services
- Grofers – the corner store in your pocket
- Hokey Pokey
- GOQii – fitness tracker with dedicated advisors (wearable tech)
- Oyo – for local travel (core impact on local SMB travelers)
- Airbnb – for international travel