By | Rakshitha Acharya | www.jobsforher.com
With the rising number of women in Tech, having some additional tips to help you reach the top is a boon. This blog is based on an Expert Chat by Dr. Lakshmipradha, life skills mentor and experienced Healthcare/IT consultant.
Basics of a Career in Tech
When you think of a career in Tech, there are some things that you should keep in mind.
First and foremost, you need to figure out what exactly interests you in the field. You need to realise what it is about Technology that is convincing you to join the field. Regardless of whether you’re a starter or a restarter, this is something that you must do. Only when you know what you are interested in, will you be able to pave a successful path for yourself.
Second, once you have picked your line of interest in the field of technology, you need to understand how much of an impact your role is going to have on your team or company. This is something that will have a long term impact on you and your career.
These are two of the basics that you need to think about and work on in the initial phase of your career in Tech.
Know more about how you can future-proof your career in technology here.
Tech Careers For Starters and Restarters
It goes without saying that the career path is different for freshers and restarters, but the above-mentioned processes remain the same.
As a fresher, here are some aspects that you need to focus on:
- You should concentrate on gaining experience. Your focus should be on learning from your first job.
- Try and stay in your first job for a minimum of 2 years. Your first job brings you out from the technical aspect of technology and gives you first-hand practical experience. Your first job, in a way, makes you ready to face the industry and gives you a clear idea on how you should develop and put your knowledge to use.
- Your first job in a Tech company or in the field of Tech gives you the unique opportunity to learn with minimum responsibilities but with vast scope. You need to make sure that you make the most of this.
As a restarter, here are 3 basic steps to follow:
- Step 1: As a returnee, you will be joining the same role as before, but a role that has seen advances, or will join a new role entirely. In either case, you need to gain expertise from your job and figure out if it suits you and if it is on par with what you want to do in your second career.
- Step 2: Once you have decided what suits you, you need to develop habits that will keep you proactive. You need to be in a constant circle of learning. The field of technology is always growing and advancing, you need to make sure you keep yourself updated with every new advancement in your opted field in Tech.
- Step 3: You need to learn how to collaborate and be a team player. You should follow the concept of share and care as a team.
Some basic points that will help you have a successful restart career are:
- Become an excellent communicator — Learn to listen and communicate with your teammates and peers.
- Build a strong network — Connect with your peers and the people in your field but in different companies. This way, you will be able to keep yourself updated with the latest career trends.
- Don’t ever stagnate — Always update and upskill yourself. The field is always advancing, so should you.
There are many more aspects about a career in technology that our expert has covered in her Expert Chat. Watch this video to know more: