By | Ekta A. Singh | www.jobsforher.com
Yes! Gender diversity in the workplace is important. And an equal representation of women in the workplace can have positive effects across the entire organisation. But how far have we progressed?
Companies are now walking the talk and are bent on bringing back the brightest talent ready to re-enter the workforce.
Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao slogan needs an extension ‘Beti Ko Badhao’ to aspire our women to be at the forefront when it comes to their career choices. Millions of women quit their jobs every year for numerous reasons. Unfortunately, when they decide to make a comeback it gets challenging to prove their skills considering the gap on their resume.
Over the last 7 years, we at JobsForHer have worked hard in catalyzing a big shift in the attitude of Indian companies towards women returnees. From keeping their doors and minds closed to career-break women, they are now rolling out exclusive programs for women looking to restart their careers after a break. After all, they represent a latent talent pool of experienced, capable, recharged, mature women who bring a whole new set of life skills to their job.
According to JobsForHer’s Diversity Survey 2021-22, 72% of Large Enterprises and 32% of SMEs and Startups have formed special initiatives to bring women back into the workforce. These programmes are mostly directed towards providing access to the right leadership and mentors, on-the-job training to improve their skills, and ultimately providing opportunities to absorb them back into the workforce.
We take a look at the top returnee programmes for women restarters that JobsForHer has partnered with in India. (Mentioned not in any particular ranking)
- LOreal: ‘Take 2 with L’Oréal’- L’Oréal India provides amazing benefits for the women employees like maternity bonus, child-care allowance plus reduced work hours. All these with a diverse, supportive, and welcoming work environment for a progressive ‘Take 2’ career for women returnees.
- Reliance Retail: BACK AGAIN – A unique initiative, a second career program which will provide an effective comeback opportunity. Women returnees can find relevant opportunities for a smooth transition back into the workforce with multiple roles under many domains like Talent Acquisition, Corporate HR and Recruitment.
- Airbus: Fly Again with Airbus – Airbus with its women returnee program is making an effort to ensure that women can make a smooth return to their professional life through structured mentoring, upskilling and onboarding.
- Altimetrik: Back to Work Program_Java_Springboot – The returnee program is designed to bring the brightest talent back to work and provide them with a platform to learn, grow and thrive. The culture at Altimetrik enables you to flourish in an ecosystem built for innovators, risk-takers and leaders.
- CGI: CGI’s Career Relaunch (CaRe) program – An exclusive returnship program for women technology professionals who are looking to re-enter the workforce after a break. The program includes a 6-week bridge training, on-the-job training, mentorship, and so much more!
- Flipkart: Flipkart Returnship Program 2021: Flip Forward – A six-month paid internship program for women returnees that offers impactful projects across multiple domains and functions and is open to any woman who has taken a career break of anywhere between six months to four years. Flipkart is committed to enabling a smooth landing for talented women in their second career ecosystem through structured mentorship, on-the-job learning and flexible work options.
- Lowe’s: How do you define a career break? Lowe’s India says – It is the start of a great opportunity! The initiative, launched by Lowe’s India, aims to tap into a pool of talented women on a career break for two-plus years. The program is followed by a four-month paid internship for selected candidates with a potential opportunity to be hired by Lowe’s India.
- Micron: New Beginnings – A returnee program that not only looks to seek out and onboard deserving female candidates who have taken a break from their work lives, but also provides an enabling environment that will help make a smooth transition.
- TVS Motors: Unnati – Second career program for women professionals – Through the ‘Unnati’ program, the company would like to bring back women professionals by offering customised, flexible opportunities aligned to their requirements. They have opportunities in nearly all business verticals – Design, Development, Research, Program Management, Manufacturing, Quality, Buying, Sales, Service, Marketing, Digital, Technology (IT, Data Science, Data Analytics & Data Engineering) and HR, Finance and Legal etc.
Other Companies Walking The Talk
With gender diversity being high on the agenda, companies are opening up new opportunities for women returnees directly. A few of the companies are also enabling women to return and rise in their careers with roles across fields and levels. These include:
- Attica Interio Private Limited
Inspired? We hope so!
Because, with guidance from the leadership, training & upskilling programs, and fair pay, we will pave the way for more Indian women to get back to the workforce.
Does your company have a women-returnee specific program? Then we’d like to hear from you!
Sign up with us to start hiring women returnees.
You can also write to email@example.com to learn more about all we have to offer, to companies of all sizes.