Hr Library

How to Train Someone Effectively

By | Candice

If you start a new job, you do not want to be left alone to fend for yourself without receiving the proper training you need first. You want to ensure that you treat the employees who are coming in to fill your position in the same way you want to be treated. This means that it is so important to train them effectively so that they can feel as if they are comfortable in the role after you leave. You can find some tips on how to train the new employee effectively in the list that can be found below.

1. Think of Learning Styles

When you were in school, you may have learned about the different learning styles and how each person tends to learn new information in a different manner. This entails how people process new information the best, which either is in a hands-on, auditory, visual, memory-based, or some other way. 

If you work in the stock market, for instance, and are training a new employee who learns via hands-on methods, show them the tools you use firsthand, such as the earnings calendar. Allow them to understand and manipulate the data themselves once they feel comfortable doing so to give them the hands-on experience they need to be comfortable performing the tasks later.

2. Communication is Key

It is so important to make any training that you do personalized and individual so that the person you are training truly feels their best and prepared. Make sure you communicate clearly to them in the learning style that they have, and that you allow them to communicate back to you. Allow them to ask you questions about the job roles and tasks, and ask them questions to ensure they understand. Make sure that they are fully ready before you set them off alone to complete the tasks by themselves, which you can do through clear communication.

3. Give Feedback

It is so important, even if someone is able to do some of the tasks on their own, to provide guidance and clear feedback at first. Make sure it is personalized and individual so that you do not embarrass the new employee and so that they can benefit from it. Use a mentoring or coaching type system to ensure that this feedback is provided on a regular basis after the employee firsts start. Your employees can take that feedback, make the necessary changes, and see improvement when it comes to their next feedback.

4. Give Responsibility From the Beginning

It is important, even though you are training, to make an employee feel as if they are not wasting your time. Give them some form of responsibility during training from the very beginning so that there is something that you can provide feedback on. Allow the individuals to complete even up to 70% of the tasks that you feel they are capable of doing and use the other 30% for training opportunities at first. This will help the new employee to feel more empowered as well and ready to take on the world.

5. Make Training Always Important

Even if the new employee has been working there for years now, it is important that there are always learning opportunities available. Someone who has been working at a business for decades still probably has opportunities to learn something new, especially with the innovative thinking that always occurs. Try to give some form of reward when an employee completes continuous training so that all employees will want to continue to learn. Make sure you are able to increase motivation somehow to really make training a priority for everyone, even you.

Final Thoughts

At the heart of all training is communication. Without it, the training and learning process would be completely useless. Be sure to clearly give feedback, allow employees to ask questions, and allow encouragement and ideas to come forward from new employees. 

Be sure to give hands-on experiences as well so that every employee has the opportunity to test out their new skills and feel as if they are being useful. 

Finally, make sure that you take into account each employee’s own personality and their own learning styles so that they can become their best at your organization.


Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button