Source | YouTube | mycompasstv
An architectural masterpiece by Frank Lloyd Wright, the Johnson Wax Headquarters is the world headquarters and administration building of S. C. Johnson & Son in Racine, Wisconsin. Designed by American architect Wright for the company’s president, Herbert F. “Hib” Johnson, the building was constructed from 1936 to 1939. Also known as the Johnson Wax Administration Building, it and the later built Johnson Wax Research Tower were designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1976. The Johnson Wax Headquarters was set in an industrial zone and Wright decided to create a sealed environment lit from above, as he had done with the Larkin Administration Building.
The building features Wright’s interpretation of the streamlined Art Moderne style popular in the 1930s. In a break with Wright’s earlier Prairie School structures, the building features many curvilinear forms and subsequently required over 200 different curved “Cherokee red” bricks to create the sweeping curves of the interior and exterior. The mortar between the bricks is raked in traditional Wright-style to accentuate the horizontality of the building.