By | Arno Markus
If you’re looking to move up the ladder into a CEO role, your resume is key to getting your foot in the door with employers.
I am a Resume and LinkedIn Profile writer specializing in Executive and C-Suite level resumes. I love to create award-winning resumes – the ones that get my clients high-level interviews. iCareerSolutions is a 20x award-winning resume writing company with a proven track record of success.
Here the tips you need to follow for your CEO Resume
- Tailor your resume to the job you’re applying for: A good Chief Executive Officer (CEO) should be able to adapt their skills and experience to different companies and industries, so take the time to tailor your resume specifically for each position you apply for. Highlight the skills that are most relevant to the job description in your skills section and give examples of achievements in previous positions you’ve held that show how you might be able to use those skills in this new job.
- Focus on your achievements: As a CEO, you are expected to deliver results, so make it clear in your resume how you’ve achieved success in previous roles. Highlight any major projects you have led and the results of those projects, and include numbers or other metrics whenever possible to showcase your impact as a leader.
- Create a strong introduction: Often, Chief Executive Officer resumes are only seen for a few seconds before being discarded or moved to the “yes” pile. To help your resume reach the “yes” pile, it is important to create an attention-grabbing introduction that immediately captures the reader’s interest. Think about what skills and experience you want to highlight in this section, and use your strongest examples to get the hiring manager’s attention from the start. Think of this introductory section as a preview of the highlights they will be reading in your resume.
Click here to see full Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Resume Sample.
- Give specific examples of how you went above and beyond: Hiring managers know that as a Chief Executive Officer you will be expected to perform at a high level, so make sure that your resume highlights how you’ve already done this. Give concrete examples of times when you were able to go above and beyond the call of duty, whether it was in your previous job or outside of work. Companies are now realizing that a new hire can bring in fresh ideas by simply looking at things differently than current employees do, thus leading to innovations. In order to maintain a culture of innovation, organizations are now looking for people who will gel well with the culture and be open to change, rather than just hiring based on skills. Adaptability is one of the attributes being sought.
- Highlight professional endorsements: If you have any recommendations from previous employers or clients, include them in your resume. They will show the hiring manager that other professionals have confidence in you and can help to build your credibility as a Chief Executive Officer applicant.
Arno Markus BA, MSc. | 16x Award-Winning CPRW (Certified Professional Résumé Writer)
Arno Markus BA, MSc., CPRW, CEO, and Founder of iCareerSolutions is a Multi-Award-Winning Certified Professional Resume Writer, a powerful LinkedIn Profile Writer, and Personal Brand & Job Search Strategist with global experience. Arno has done recruitment consulting in Helsinki, Amsterdam, and Toronto. He also worked in Nuclear Power for the Federal Government prior to switching to empowering professionals to achieve ambitious career goals full-time. Arno is an expert at dissecting job descriptions and marketing his clients to ensure they get where they want to be in their Career.
He began his winning streak in 2017 receiving the National ROAR Award – Experience Writer Modern Design from the National Resume Writers’ Association. Since then he has consistently ranked among the top writers in the North America. In 2018 he received many honorable mentions, including Best Technology Resume and Best Executive Resume. Then in 2020, he received two TORI Awards from Career Directors International, bringing the total recognitions he has received to 16 industry Awards and Honorable Mentions. Last year he received Best IT Resume by the Career Professionals Association.
Arno Markus BA, MSc., CPRW (Certified Professional Résumé Writer), and Founder of iCareerSolutions. Consistently ranked among the Top Résumé & LinkedIn Profile Writers in North America. 16X Résumé Writing Awards including 2020 Best IT Résumé and Nominated for 2020 Best Executive Résumé.