By | Shital Kakkar Mehra | Executive Presence Coach for CEOs I Business Communication Expert I Best-selling Author I Co-Founder Katalyst, NGO
The protocols can be looked as ancient practice since the human society was born. We can’t imagine the human society without protocol. Few years before the start of the modern era, the protocols were all about time management and flexibility. Now, it has become essential to consider the cultures while following international protocol. The prime difference between the cultures and generations are based on greetings, sharing and the way of taking care of others.
Tips for following international protocols
- It is important to look after how you sit. Always be careful that your shoes sole are towards ground. Never expose the soles.
- Keep your hands on the table and not on your lap.
- Your attire is the mirror of your personality.
- Opt for offering tips and gifts with proper analysis.
- You must be aware of your gesture and their significance.
- Comfort zone varies from country to country. Never create any unpleasant reaction.
- Eye contact may differ with the culture of countries.
- Each country has an own menu of eating. Refusing their dishes may be insulting. You have to swallow it whether you like it or not.
- Above all your honesty any efforts will be the best practice to be followed especially.
The international protocols are extremely simple but at the same time, they have sound importance. The aspects that are growing rapidly to rule the world like artificial intelligence, virtual reality etc. have to pay attention towards the international protocols. Specifically the entrepreneurs who wish to scope their business over the foreign countries need to understand its importance and gulp the international protocols. The simple rule of international protocols for business is, ‘Your business will vanish if you do not respect people, rules, places, and regulations. No matter how big your business is, you have to maintain the protocols to motivate your team members as well.’
In the leadership concern, leaders have to be open minded to follow international protocols. So that they will understand how to interact, listen and appreciate others as well as to their own team members. These are the important values which must be followed for maintaining personal values. The protocols give the way of respecting other’s thoughts and welcoming their opinions. It is very important for a leader to follow international protocols during the interaction.
If you are a leader and have Digital strategies to achieve, you need to interact with people from different places. It is a must to understand and follow the international protocols to respect them. These international protocols are the only way to scope your work in other countries. Hence its importance is far more than you can ever think.